Monday, July 14, 2008

Soul Journaling: Day 2

I'm loving all the responses you wonderful creative women have sent my way over the last 24 hours. I'm so glad you are excited about this project too! *HUGS* to you ALL!!!!! :)

Today we are going to Claim our Journals!

First thing I want you to do is dry brush Gesso over all of the writing you did yesterday. Don't be scared. Just go for it!

Use a paint brush with NO water, dip it into a little bit of your Gesso and scrub the surface with the paint. You should still be able to make out that there is writing on the page but it should be a lot harder to read. (You may need to use a bit of waxed paper between your pages at this point to prevent the paint from getting on the rest of the pages and to prevent them from sticking together while they are drying. ) Really THINK about the words as you cover them up. Cover some words more than others.









Take a moment to look at and think about the words that you can still see peeking through.









Allow this to dry. For those of you with a heat gun you can speed up the drying process.







While this is drying you can get out your stash of markers, gel pens, colored pencils, anything that makes color that you enjoy using.




Working on the first page:

Stamp or write “This Book belongs to: “ at the top of your page. Write your full name underneath that. Then write it again and again until you have filled the page with your name. Use different fonts. Be Creative. Be free. Doodle around your name with hearts and flowers. Add glitter. Anything you wish. I want anyone who picks this book up to know WHO it belongs to. This is YOUR book!!















And now a small homework assignment. Don’t be scared, it’s only a “thinking” assignment. ;)

I want you to think about what you need to protect and nourish your creative spirit. Think about the things that sustain you. What’s needed to shield you from outside criticism and your inner critic?



That’s all for today. We’ll see you tomorrow!




*Oh and an extra note on cheapie acrylic paints. My favorite journaling acrylics are bought from JoAnn’s Fabric at less than a dollar a piece. I have also heard that Walmart has some that are good. I love using these for this sort of project for one big reason: fillers! The reason artist’s acrylics are so expensive is because they have a lot more pigment for your buck and a lot less watery fillers. They usually have great coverage and a little paint goes a long way. Cheapie paints however are loaded with chalky and watery extras that normally make them a lot less desirable but are exactly what we need for this type of thing. We want layers to show through so we don’t want great coverage and cheap paints also tend to be very matte and somewhat chalky which again is perfect for books! It means there is less chance the pages will stick when they are dry. Hooray for ChEAp!!


If you are posting pictures in your blog or flicker please send me a link to post. Or you want you can email me pictures of your process I will put them up here. :)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

OH drat...I'm a day behind and just falling further and further. I just glued my first 3 pages but will have to wait till tomorow night to add the Gesso, since i still don't have any. As soon as my pages dry today...if they ever dry :) I'll post them on my blog...

This is fabulous Sarah!

Altered Route said...

Sending you a link....
http://alteredroute.blogspot.com/2008/07/journal-challenge.html
I'm all caught up...now for that homework assignment!
Connie

Sarah Whitmire said...

If you don't have gesso you can use a light colored paint. It won't have as much "tooth" to it but that's OK. :)

Sarah

Miss Oddity said...

I've added my name page to my blog. Here is the link http://missoddityscrazycollection.blogspot.com/

My Darling Heart is shaking his head at my latest messy art play ... poor baby ... hahahahahaha

Cheeka said...

Well here I am - done with day 2! I'm always behind, so why should this be any different?

Sarah, this is so much fun! Thank you for sharing this with us!

http://soullilies.blogspot.com/2008/07/soul-journaling.html

Cheeka

Sandra L. said...

Dear Sarah, I just found out about this today and I'm excited! Thanks for posting about cheapie paints. I've struggled with this for a while. Got my first batch of Golden liquid acrylics for A&S and I'm afraid to use them 'cause they're so costly. I also love the panorama of colors you can get at the craft store. It's like candy!

Hugs, Sandra

Anonymous said...

I am a bit behind in starting this journey, but have started none the less. I just finished this up and posted it to my blog. Enjoy!

Cheryl Gebhart said...

I've finished up my first page - here is a link to it:

http://tinyurl.com/6qpn73

This was fun - on to the next assignment now.

Anonymous said...

I used my Day 2 as a jumping off point so the end result is a bit different. I like trying new (to me) techniques and since I'm starting over 3 weeks late I'm resisting the urge to read ahead!

Sara said...

What? Seriously - I cover it up? How sad! I think I'll be posting my pages after the weekend here: sheeri.blogspot.com

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

Finally taking the plunge! Stop by and say hello if you've a moment... thanks again for doing this project - I'm very excited to be working on it!

page 1:
http://finerthanfroghair.blogspot.com/2008/09/claiming-my-journal.html

(and how the heck do ya make links look pretty in a comment!?)

Barb Smith said...

It's November 7th and I'm just now beginning this journey...I thought I'd go ahead and leave notes anway, even though you've already moved on from this wonderful exercise since it is a brand new journey for me.
Thank you...I think this will be very good for my soul.

I did Day 1 yesterday (Nov. 6th) and just finished gessoing my pages and when they dry I will do my "coloring" and take ownership of my journal.

Thank you again!

goudenregen said...

Hello Sarah,
I began today with you Soul Journaling. Put some results om my blog:
http://goudenregen.blogspot.com/
I think I can learn a lot from the experience. Thank you.
Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah...finished my Day 2 today!
Already addict to this 22 days of soul journaling ;)

Theresa said...

Hey Sarah,

I did my homework and the answer is Flow. Check out my post here: http://visualjournaling.net/?p=82

Thanks for asking that question! Inspired me to think and confront it straight on.

Now for my page from day 1 & 2 is here: http://visualjournaling.net/?p=63

Thanks so much!