Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Soul journaling: Day 17

Hi there! Sorry I am posting so late today. I had a crazy morning. :P

Today's prompt is going to be similar to yesterday's:
More Collage potpourri!
Do all of the following things to your pages BUT: Mix up the order. You can go in any order you like EXCEPT the order they're already in. If you want: print this list out, cut out the tasks, fold them and shake them into a bowl and randomly pick what to do next!

Page 3 and 4
Mix up this list!

-Fill up the page with numbers (Draw, collage, or stamp)
-Blob acrylic paint in your book and close it (did you know that Frida Kahlo used to do this in her journals?)
-Trace the outline of your hand at least 6 times (Use a permanent ink pen or paint*)
-Add a wash of a new color paint
-Use a crayon somewhere
-Paint with a fork dipped in paint
-Stitch with a needle and thread OR attach something with thread
-Add some meaningful words

*I also used a “Wite-out correction pen” by Bic

Tip: Keep baby wipes or wet paper towels handy to move paint around or remove unwanted paint spots


I thought I would mix things up today and only give you a sneek peek of mine so i don't influenece your process too much. ;)
Continue playing with these pages. Use this list as a jumping off point. Be messy and have fun. The cool thing about this is you could do this same basic list over and over again and get totally different results each time.
My pages from today and yesterday are already speaking to me. This is my favorite form of visual journaling. Because the steps are random it forces you to turn some of the focus off the critical voice that double thinks everything and the choices you make are what makes art… art. Color, Composition, etc.
*********************************************************************
I have gotten a few emails about this so I thought I would post a note about it here too.
A note about permanency: When you are doing layers of journaling like we are today you need all of your inks and pens, markers, etc. to be labeled “permanent” if you don’t want them to bleed. My favorite permanent pens are Sharpie markers, Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens (India ink), or Acrylic Inks with a fountain pen (such as Liquitex). My favorite Permanent stamping ink is Staz-On. I always buy refill bottles when I buy these as they dry out fast. You will also need Staz-On cleaner to remove the ink from your stamps.
Hope everyone is still having fun with this! See you tomorrow. :)
*HUGS*

13 comments:

Letha Richardson said...

I have been participating "in secret" not sure if I was ready to bear my soul, but I plan to add my journal to my blog in the next day or so, but I am a day behind. I have a question about adhering things to the pages. I have been using matte gel medium to stick everythig down, and that seems to work for all the small stuff, but I am getting a lot of wrinkling with large size papers. How do I avoid those darn wrinkles? Is there a technique, or should I use a different product?
Letha

Dale said...

Oh, please tell me that you're going to be starting another Soul Journaling series soon!

Someone just recommended your blog to me, and I wanna PLAY! :)

Christy said...

Hope your day was a good one after your crazy morning ;)
I got my pages done. I wanted to tell you Sarah that I never thought about my pets and color choices. My very first pet at age 6 was a white poodle. I have a white kity and a black kitty, my parents have two black dogs and my brother a black kitty. Guess it runs in the family.

Virginia said...

Sarah!!! I so enjoyed this one..I have all the others too but this one was just special...Thank You..

Letha Richardson said...

I guess I was more ready than I thought I was, I did it- I posted all my finished pages on my blog. I am not quite finished with my 1&2 pages, so I haven't posted them, but plan on that tomorrow. Thanks for being such an inspiration!
Letha
http://thismuseofmine.blogspot.com/

Viki said...

Dale, start anytime...just because we started a few weeks ago doesn't mean you can't start today!!
Letha, I use Yes Paste and it doesn't wrinkle much.

Sarah, I can't wait to get into this one, Hands are my thing...well, one of them.

Viki

Sarah Whitmire said...

Letha,
So glad you joined us! I rarely get bubbles and I use Liquitex or Golden brand matt gel medium. If you are using a super cheap brand they may have added water in them that is making your paper buckle. Try not using any water on your brush and applying the medium thinly too. I always apply my medium on top of my paper as well as underneath and somehow the brushing on top while the bottom is still wet helps to squeeze out any air bubbles.

If all else fails "Yes paste" is a great alternative and rarely buckles with paper.

Hope that helps!

Sarah

Kim Mailhot said...

Hi Sarah,

I have been playing along or quite awhile and I am so enjoying your fun and playful prompts ! It was just the summer play I needed. I won't be posting each and every page but promise to show off some of the great things tht I have found along my journey !

Thank you so much for your hard work, your great example, and sweet encouragement ! This is so fun !
Cheers and bon voyage to NYC !!!
Kim
You can check out some of my Collage Potpourri here :
http://queen-of-arts.blogspot.com/2008/07/morning-glories.html

Kathryn Costa said...

What fun this has been. I really liked these potpourri assignments, A LOT. I'm one assignment away from catching up!

Linda said...

I too have been journaling along but because I started so late, I wasn't posting. I've had the chance to catch up a bit so I thought I'd say thanks for creating is project and you can visit my blog to see what I've done with the prompts. It's been a lot of fun.

caroline douglas said...

Hi there,
I had to come see since Lynne is SO inspired. Your blog is brilliant! and I now want to join in the fun...
thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful fun spread completed. I just love all of the different techniques. Thanks again.

Φανή said...

Sarah you are great ... congratulations!!!!!and thank you...thank you....thank you....