Monday, July 28, 2008

Soul Journaling: Day 16

Today we are going to have lots of fun!

The first thing I did was take my paper dolls out and put them in a safe spot because they were making my book a bit bumpy to work on. Then I put waxed paper between my pages. Oh I forgot to mention that when I know things are going to get VERY messy I put a paper towel on top of my waxed paper to help soak up any extra paint. This is part of my set up process and I do it without even thinking.


Before we begin in our books today I want to demo a technique for you. I call it the Magazine Stencil technique. It's easy and looks great in journals. First, find an interesting body shape in a magazine. Pay attention to the negative space (space around the person) and the outline. This is what will show up when stenciled. The larger and less complex your shapes are the easier they are to stencil. Remember, don't do this in your journal yet...I'm just showing you how.



Hold your image still with one hand and use a make-up or other type of sponge to brush the paint over it.



Peel up your image. TaDa! Cool huh?



Now let's try it in the journal. We are gonna start working on the pre-prepped pages from yesterday. We will do one spread a day for 3 days.

****************************************************************

To start, number your pages. Draw, stamp or collage the numbers on.


Now for the fun! Welcome to my collage potpourri. :)

Do all of the following things to your pages BUT: Mix up the order. You can go in any order you like EXCEPT the order they're already in. If you want: print this list out, cut out the tasks, fold them and shake them into a bowl and randomly pick what to do next!

Working on Page 1 and 2
Mix up this list!
-Fill the page with descriptive adjectives (Use a permanent ink pen)
-Cut out a silhouette of a person and ink or paint over it (Use the Magazine Stencil technique)
-Add a wash of paint (use a color you haven't used yet)
-Write your grocery list or any other list somewhere (use your non-dominate hand)
-Add tape
-Use pencil somewhere
-Make some quick lines, fast and without thinking
-Drip and splatter at least two different colors of paint
-Dry-brush on some paint (use a color you haven't used yet)


Here is my journal with all of today's steps.








Continue playing with these pages. Use this list as a jumping off point. Be messy and have fun. The cool thing about this is you could do this same basic list over and over again and get totally different results each time.
*HUGS*
Homework: You will need a plastic fork for tomorrow! ;)

11 comments:

Angie in AZ said...

OK, I admit I am not following along actually DOING the journaling but wow, this stencil technique is too cool! I will use this technique at some point. It's fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am just getting started on the soul journal and have a question. What pens can you recommend for the journaling? I have tried several and they all bleed. I just bought a set of micron pens. I had read they wouldn't bleed thru the page or smear but when I put the gesso on top for page 2 it did smear! :( I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Sarah Whitmire said...

Hi Cjd!
I usually use Sharpie brand Permanent markers or Faber-Castell PITT artist pens. I know that Sharpies can bleed on thin paper but if you prep your pages first with a second layer of paper (such as dictionary page) and Gesso you shouldn't have any trouble. They also work nice on watercolor papers.

Hope that helps! :)

Ruby Claire said...

OMG this is so awesome!!
YAY can't wait to start!
yours looks GREAT!!
Thankyou!!
xx

Mary S. Hunt said...

You keep coming up with so many procedures I have forgotten are useful in works...I am all prepped and ready to begin...

:-)

I know you aren't done and I can't wait to see the "finished" spread...cause your work always looks so amazing!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know how awesome I think this project is. Unfortunately summer is to busy with work to join you, but I hope this will all be on your blog till winter so I can follow your steps later this year. It looks so great!

Lara Lorelei said...

I started over the weekend, and have got as far as day 10, I'm trying things I wouldn't have. I've finally discovered the virtues of working from page one and not dipping into my journal wherever I open it. I know that creating dolls isn't for me so I'll have tothink of something different to do at that point. Keep up the inspiration!
Claire
http://thepaintedtreehouse.wordpress.com/

Viki said...

I haven't made the dolls yet and my taped pages are just blah, so I may spray paint over them with a stencil!!
I have really enjoyed Day 16. I think next time I'll use darker colors or a different pen to write words. My black sharpie words still pop out even after all of the paint.
I also used some distress ink and some sequin blanks with some pigment ink. My magazine stencils don't pop as much because of it all but I like the pages a little better now. Hopefully I can get pictures up on my blog tomorrow.

Viki

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, I am just loving this thing... also how you tease us with things to prep for the next day. Thanks so much for including me in your list, it makes it easier to check out everyone elses too.

Kathryn Costa said...

I finally have this assignment done. I had so much fun. I feel like I'm loosening up! I will definitely take these techniques with me moving forward. I may just start a creative session by doing some of these techniques as a warm up before tackling the project of the day. Many thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is the best assignment yet. I just completed it last night and had so much fun with all of the different techniques. I used the heat gun many times because I didn't want to wait for the pages to dry. Thank you Sarah for a fabulous assignment. Now, onto Day 17.